B is for Baking: Blueberry Coffee Cake
This post may contain affiliate links; find my full disclosure here.
Because July is the peak of blueberry season here in Michigan, I am sharing a new blueberry recipe each week this month. I love blueberries and have ever since I was a kid. Speaking of childhood memories, my mom has made a delicious blueberry coffee cake ever since I can remember. I crave this recipe all year round and will occasionally make up a batch with blueberries from the freezer for no particular reason. This blueberry coffee cake is also perfect for brunches and potlucks. You can make it up ahead of time and it travels and serves beautifully. Ready for the recipe? Here we go:
This week’s blueberry inspired recipe is blueberry coffee cake with crumb topping.
- When freezing your blueberries for future use, measure them into two cup portions and store in freezer bags. You will always have the perfect amount of berries on hand to whip up this yummy recipe.
- When using frozen berries, rinse and thaw in a colander making sure to drain them well. Pat them try with paper towel before adding to the dough.
- To prepare the baking pan, I sprayed the pan with cooking oil in an oil mister and then gently shook flour into the pan until all surfaces were covered. I love my mister/sprayer to get a fine mist of whatever oil I have on hand without added chemicals.
- I like a lot of cinnamon in my crumb topping – you can always reduce the amount of cinnamon to your taste.
- A fork works well to cut in the butter to the flour mixture, but sometimes I find it faster to just use my fingers to work the mixture into crumbs.
- If you like a lot of crumb topping, double the crumb topping recipe.
This recipe is sure to become a favorite. It is the perfect compliment to a cup of coffee on a lazy weekend morning. Even my very picky kiddos can’t get enough of this one! Let me know how it turns out for you. It is so yummy!
If you enjoyed this blueberry recipe, you might also enjoy these blueberry favorites:
My posts are partying at these fun Link Parties and Blog Hops!