C is for Crafts: DIY Gold Glitter Star Coffee Mugs
This post was sponsored by Folgers as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) guidelines concerning the use of endorsement and testimonials in advertising. I received complimentary products to facilitate my review. All opinions are 100% my own. This post may also contain affiliate links. Find my full disclosure here.
Mmm…. coffee! I have always enjoyed a hot cup of coffee in the morning, but since my kids were born, coffee has really become the shining star of my mornings. And what better way to start my day than by enjoying a cup of delicious Folgers coffee in these fun DIY Gold Glitter Star Coffee Mugs? You won’t believe how easy and inexpensive they are to make. I have teamed up with Folgers and Influence Central to bring you the tutorial for these darling mugs and to tell you about an exciting opportunity to become a star yourself by creating your own version of the iconic Best Part of Wakin’ Up™ Jingle in the Folgers Jingle Contest. Five lucky winners will receive a mentor session with country music singer-songwriter Chris Young and one lucky grand prize winner will win $25,000! Are you ready to learn more? Here we go:
DIY Gold Glitter Star Coffee Mug Tutorial
Black ceramic coffee mugs (I got mine at the dollar store!)
Small paint brush
- Remove any tags from your coffee mugs and thoroughly wash and dry them making sure there is no residue left on the surface.
- Using a strip of painter’s tape, tape off the top 3/4 inch of your mug to preserve a drinking space free of decoration.
- Using your star shaped paper punch, punch several gold glitter stars out of your gold glitter paper. I used about 12- 16 stars on each mug.
- Using your small paintbrush, liberally brush the back of one glitter star with dishwasher safe Mod Podge and place it on the mug in your desired position. Coat the top surface of your star with Mod Podge as well to seal the paper star to the surface of the mug. Use a damp cloth to remove any excess Mod Podge from around the star.
- Repeat this process with each star to achieve your desired look or pattern. I used random placement around the mug using three offset rows as a rough guide. Allow to dry for 1-2 hours.
- Coat each star with additional Mod Podge 2-3 more times, allowing the surface to dry for 1-2 hours in between coats.
- Allow to dry thoroughly before washing and using your cute new gold glitter star coffee mugs. The Mod Podge label recommends letting the Mod Podge cure for 28 days before washing in the dishwasher. After that, they should be top rack dishwasher safe. I have not personally used the dishwasher safe Mod Podge before on other projects, but have heard from others who love it. I will definitely stick with hand washing until I am confident enough to try the dishwasher.
- These gold glitter star coffee mugs are perfect for everyday use, but would make a cute gift as well. Teacher gift? Girlfriend gift? Pencil cup? How will you use them?
Folgers Jingle Contest 2017
And now for more info about this exciting contest! The iconic Folgers jingle has become a piece of pop culture – generations have heard the tune and sing along with the words. I know you are singing it in your head even as you read this! Through this contest, Folgers is inviting aspiring musicians to embrace this well-known tune and make it their own. Need even more star power? Folgers® has teamed up with country music singer-songwriter Chris Young to encourage aspiring musicians to create their own version of the iconic Best Part of Wakin’ Up™ Jingle in the Folgers Jingle Contest. Five lucky semi-finalists will win their own mentor sessions with Chris Young before the online voting begins. How cool is that?
Here is how the contest works:
- Get your creative juices flowing and make a video of your own unique version of the iconic Folgers Jingle. Submit your video on the website between January 30th and February 27th. Your version of the Jingle must include the complete melody and complete lyrics of “The Best Part of Wakin’ Up is Folgers in Your Cup.”
- Between February 27th and March 19th, 5 semi-finalists will be selected and each will have a mentor session with Chris Young before the online vote.
- Online voting begins on March 27th and runs through April 24th. Fans around the country will get the chance to vote daily for their favorite jingle. Every vote automatically enters you to win prizes up to $10,000!
- One winner will be selected in May 2017 to win the grand prize of $25,000! Woo-hoo! What are you waiting for? Start working on your jingle now!
- You can learn more about the Folgers Jingle Contest by visiting the website HERE.
I hope you are inspired by this fun and easy craft project and by this awesome contest. Whether you are ready to add some star power to your morning coffee with these fun gold glitter star coffee mugs or to belt out your best rendition of the Folgers Jingle, I do hope that you will take a few minutes to check out this fun contest. Not in the singing mood? You can also win prizes just by voting for your favorite jingle! Are you inspired to see your name up in lights by entering the Folgers Jingle Contest? I hope so and I can’t wait to see what you come up with! Happy crafting (and singing), my friends! Xoxo, Cristina
My posts are partying at these fun Link Parties and Blog Hops!